It’s January. I haven’t updated in a few weeks. For as long as I can remember, I’ve always felt like this time of year was a big let down. The holidays are over. It’s cold and bleak. And I’m not very fond of Spring, so I don’t look forward to that time of year. It’s not until about mid-May that I start feeling good about Summer coming and the garden taking off. When I was in school, this time of the year was the hardest. Slogging to classes in the darkness and snow. These days, it feels pretty much the same, but with lots of heavy lifting. The project is coming along according to plan. I’m on the last room of framing. The electric is done on the first floor. We’re gearing up for our first wave of inspections. Things are good. Still, I show up in the dark and snow, slog through the work, and leave in the darkness and snow. On the plus side, with the electric mostly done we have far more lights in the house. I’ll throw some posts up about electricity in the coming days. Here’s some other good things that will probably get their own posts:
- I installed a bunch of can lights in the kitchen and wired up 3 switches for them. This required logicing out the correct wiring path rather than just aping a diagram in a book. I feel pretty proud of that.
- The chimney is mostly repaired. After we pulled back the plaster, we discovered a significant vertical crack requiring a partial rebuild. It was on the short list of scariest things.
- I added a circuit and successfully pulled wire through conduit in the basement. Fishing cable is the worst job I’ve done so far.
- We settled on a plan for the master bedroom. We ordered a window and I’m working on framing it now.
- Em and Steve installed the meter setting, so we’re on track to get our water meter put in.
- I punched a handful of holes in the house for ventilation and windows.
Now is the time to start picking out aesthetics. This is one of the most difficult parts for me. I waffle and waffle over things like colors and patterns. I spent some time today walking around Lowes and staring at tile. If we want to order tile for flooring, we should do it now. Likewise for specialty items like countertops or custom cabinets or whathaveyou…