Day 146: More Windows!

In the master bedroom there was some water damage due to a leaky roof we had fixed early on.  The water hit the plaster ceiling, which liquified and collapsed part of the drywall ceiling that was attached to it.2014-01-28 15.12.38  The net result was the whole thing had to come down.  For the first third or so of the project, we just had an empty space above the bedroom.  The master bedroom is part of the addition and the roof doesn’t sit as high as in the main house.  After hemming and hawing over what we were going to do, we finally decided to vault the ceiling.  Part of this decision involved replacing the gable vent with a picture window.  I talked before about roof framing.  In the style that exists in our house, there’s a vent opening at either end of the roof to allow air to pass through for water control.  Actually, in our case, there are several because there are actually two roofs, one over the main house and one over the addition.  The vent is essentially a 12″x18″ opening with a simple metal grate.  In order to raise the ceiling, we had to frame up new walls, so it was a simple matter of framing in a window for the new wall portion.2014-02-15 14.53.06

I should confess at this point, that I know how to frame for a square window.  I do not actually know how to frame for a circle window.  This was a stretch for me and I’m still not 100% sure how it’s all going to end up.  After much reading, I framed an octagon shaped hole.  Essentially it’s a square with 4 more boards cut at 45 degree angles.  Then inside that I cute a circle hole in the side of the house bigger than the original rectangular vent port.  I pulled back the siding and then flashed the entire thing as if it was a square.  I maybe put way more flashing than I needed, especially because it’s directly under the eve of the roof peek.  But that’s fine.  Then last week we had a magical 40 degree day that melted the snow pack and gave me a chance to climb the big ladder 25′ to install the window.  On the one hand, a 24″, non-opening window is way lighter and easier to carry than a big, honking double-hung beast.  On the other, I had to carry it up a ladder two and a half stories.  It was a little scary.  It’s the first time in the project I’ve done exterior ladder work and the first time we’ve used our big collapsing ladder.  It wobbled a lot.  But I didn’t die or even really get hurt despite some slight problems with the siding being in the way.

2014-02-19 16.43.16The next step, after our inspections, is to build a window jamb.  It’s essentially building up the woodwork and drywall around the window and then painting and adding molding to make it seamless.  Again, I have no idea how to make a circle jamb.  More learning to be done.  I also have to climb back up the outside and replace the siding I pulled back.  That one has to wait for another 40 degree day.  I expect it to come sometime in July.

Advertisements

About Nathan

Originally from central Florida (near Orlando), I've lived in the Cleveland area since 2008. When I'm not caught up in the life project de jure, I paint, sculpt, play games (mostly board games and video games), and run a small hobby import/export business.

One thought on “Day 146: More Windows!

  1. I’m so glad you didn’t die falling from that scary wobbly ladder! I want to see the house get finished!

Comment

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s