I accomplished my first routing project. Part of installing the bar involves putting in this incredibly beefy brackets. Like, seriously, it was $30 to just ship these things. Each one must way 25 pounds. I’m pretty sure the wood is going to collapse before these things will bend. Anyway, in order to install them, I had to rout a little more than half an inch of wood out of several trough shapes in the pony wall on which the bar will sit. It was mostly successful. I used a straight bit and kind of eyeballed the depth rather than measuring and using the fine adjust on the router. There’s a fair bit I still don’t know about the machine. I suspect I should have done two shallow passes rather than one full pass. At one point I got caught on a bit of drywall overhang that caused me to lose control of the router and pinball inside the groove I was cutting. The final product won’t show it, but man is that thing powerful. I’m super excited to make picture frames in the far off future where I can set up a workshop in the garage*.
*I do actually fantasize from time to time about my garage workshop. It’s big enough to fit quite a few machines into and still have room to park. I now own way more tools than when we started and even more excitingly, I know how to use way more tools than when I started.